Swim Lesson Instructor (Seasonal)
Company: City of Yuma, AZ
Posted on: May 3, 2021
- Recruitment for this position is primarily for the 2021 summer
season. Candidates must be available from May 25, 2021 to August 1,
2021, some positions may require availability through October 1,
- In order to be considered, candidates must possess a current
swim instructor certificate from a certified establishment
(example: American Red Cross, Ellis, Starfish, City of Yuma), at
the time of application.*
Under close supervision, provides water safety, swimming and
diving instruction classes at City pool and aquatic facilities;
monitors activities in City pool facilities to assure public safety
and compliance with state rules and regulations, and City policies
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:-- Essential functions, as defined under the
Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following
representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a
comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by
incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which
are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as
required. The job description does not constitute an employment
agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not
limited to, the following:
- Assesses ability and skill levels of pool patrons enrolled in
swimming, diving or life safety classes; provides swimming and
diving instruction according to skill levels of assigned class, and
instruction in pool safety.
- Monitors swimming and other pool activities to prevent
accidents; rescues swimmers in danger of drowning and applies
cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid; writes accident and
- Enforces pool safety rules and regulations.
- Inspects swimming pool for cleanliness and performs routine
maintenance, including tests of water in the pool to determine
chemical balance of chlorinators; maintains pool facilities.
- Recognizes, avoids, and reports unsafe conditions, accidents
- Supports the relationship between the City of Yuma and the
general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior
when interacting with citizens, visitors, and City staff; promotes
the City goals and priorities, vision, values and the "Yuma Way",
and complies with all City policies and procedures.
- Maintains absolute confidentiality of work-related issues and
City information; performs other duties as required or
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines
No specific educational or experience requirements; must be at
least 16 years of age.
- City policies and procedures.
- Rules and regulations governing the safety of municipal
aquatics facilities and equipment.
- Basic lifesaving methods and procedures, including first
- Water safety, swimming and diving instructional and
certification methods and techniques.
- Recreational activities for children, adolescents, adults,
senior citizens and/or special populations.
- Principles of water chemistry, chlorination, and pH
- Promoting a positive recreation environment and good personal
- Teaching water safety, swimming and diving techniques.
- Monitoring pool facility and guests for violations of rules and
- Effectively using emergency techniques for standard water
- Acting quickly and calmly in emergency situations, and
promoting safety standards.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
A valid Arizona State Driver's License may be required. Must
possess a curent swim instructor certificate from a certified
establishment (example: American Red Cross, Ellis, Starfish, City
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed outdoors in public swimming pool environments.
Incumbents must maintain a level of physical fitness to meet
Keywords: City of Yuma, AZ, Yuma , Swim Lesson Instructor (Seasonal), Other , Yuma, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!